AUSTIN — This week the Texas General Land Office and the Alamo Mission Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT) concluded discussions regarding the private entity's use of state property at the historic Alamo complex in San Antonio.
Granted authority over the Alamo in 2011, the Texas General Land Office began a yearlong inventory of items on the complex to determine either state or private ownership. Upon conclusion of that inventory, the Land Office determined that the Alamo Mission Chapter could no longer store private belongings on state property, or continue to enjoy free, exclusive, long-term use of state property for private chapter business. For years, the Chapter had maintained a private office at and stored items in Alamo Hall, the converted 1922 fire station behind the Alamo church. This was a benefit not available to any other DRT chapter or private organization.
Consequently, Chief Clerk Larry Laine met with chapter leadership and finalized an agreement to remove all chapter property from state grounds through an orderly and organized transition. The Land Office has allowed Alamo Mission Chapter ample time to complete the removal of items from Alamo Hall. Many items, including lighting fixtures and furniture identified as chapter property, have already been removed.
Because DRT is the contracted operator of the Alamo, the Alamo Mission chapter and other DRT chapters can continue to use Alamo Hall for regular meetings at no charge subject to GLO approval.
Commissioner Jerry Patterson and the Texas General Land Office recognize the inestimable value of the Alamo Mission Chapter in the history of the Alamo and are very grateful for its vital role in the preservation of the Cradle of Texas Liberty.
The decision to draw a clear line between state and chapter property is in no way a reflection of any ill will or lack of appreciation for their long service to the Alamo and the people of Texas.