6th Annual Save Texas History Symposium: In the Shadow of the Dome: Austin by Day & Night
Experience Austin in a New Light
- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO ATTEND SYMPOSIUM
- CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT SPONSOR AND EXHIBITOR OPPORTUNITIES
1701 N. Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701
- Symposium - 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Reception at Capitol Visitors Center – 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
The sixth Annual Save Texas History Symposium will take a look at the history of Austin in a whole new light. In the Shadow of the Dome: Austin by Day & Night will examine diverse aspects of Austin’s history, including the Texas Supreme Court, the destruction of one Capitol Building and the construction of another, and the impact on the city of notable hotelier, George W. Littlefield.
It will also delve into some of the less celebrated aspects of Austin’s history. One speaker will examine the Pig War, an obscure dispute that wrought serious diplomatic repercussions for the Republic of Texas. Another will investigate the Servant Girl Annihilator, a serial killer who stalked the streets of Austin in 1884 and 1885.
Rounding out the agenda is an exploration of the slave narratives of early Austin, as well as tales from Guy Town.
Featured Speakers Include:
- Jeff Kerr
- Ali James
- James L. Haley
- Richard Zelade
- Lieutenant Doug Dukes
- Dr. David Gracy
- Dr. Andres & Juanita Tijerina
Dr. Bruce Ellis
Terri E. Flack
Other activities include tours of the GLO Archives, a pioneer surveying expedition, a two-part genealogy workshop, and an educational workshop for 4th & 7th grade Texas history teachers.
VIP Reception starts at 6:30 PM
Meet and get a photo with Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush at the Save Texas History Symposium Reception, and help raise money for the Save Texas History program.
Save Texas History Symposium Reception - Texas Capitol Visitors Center 7:00-9:00 PM
Meet symposium speakers, mingle with other attendees over drinks and hors d'oeuvres, and explore the Texas Capitol Visitors Center.
A block of rooms has been arranged for guests attending the Save Texas History Symposium, at a rate of $159/night for November 13 & 14.
DoubleTree by Hilton Austin University
1617 N Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78702
Central Reservations: 1-800-222-TREE
Hotel Front Desk: 512-479-4000 x0
Please refer to Group Code “STH” when making reservations. Make reservations by October 16, 2015 for special rate.
Book your room at the DoubleTree by Hilton Austin University Online by CLICKING HERE.
- Texas Society of Professional Surveyors
- Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
- Texas School for the Deaf
- University of Texas Press
- Texas Historical Foundation
- Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society
- Austin History Center Association
- Texas A&M University Press
- Brush Square Museums - The City of Austin
- Harry Ransom Center, The University of Texas at Austin
- Save Austin's Cemeteries
- Society of Southwest Archivists (SSA)