[ READ FULL SPEECH ]
No. Not now, not ever. It will always be called the Alamo. No recommendation or proposal has ever been made to change the name. The Alamo will always be called “the Alamo.”
Absolutely not. The 1836 Battle is central to future plans. It is the event that defines the Alamo’s role in history. It is, by far, the largest exhibit in the new museum and will always be the central story. The plan will tell the 1836 story through compelling exhibits and living history programs, and in the Alamo. We’ve grown our Living History program to more than a dozen staff and volunteers who bring 1836 to life at the Alamo every single day.
The main goals of the Alamo master plan are to preserve and protect the Alamo Church and Long Barrack and recapture the 1836 Battlefield. Alamo staff and museum interpretation and exhibit specialists will make recommendations on options for a perimeter that honors the Alamo’s history and ensures the safety of the Alamo and her visitors. The proposed plan reclaims as much of the Battlefield footprint as possible so that visitors can better understand what the Alamo was like at the time of the Battle.
No. Plexiglas was never proposed and no wall design has been approved in the final Master Plan. Many people have expressed that they prefer no walls, and the structural glass wall concept was very unpopular.
No! It will become MORE respectful and dignified. The current “carnival-like” and “commercial” atmosphere in front of the Alamo will become a place of reverence, dignity, and respect to commemorate the Battle of 1836 and those who died fighting for Texas’ Independence. To make this possible, the General Land Office purchased the buildings across the street from the Alamo, and the plan calls for closing the streets so the 1836 Battlefield can be recaptured and used for Living History exhibits and to allow visitors to Remember the Alamo. Most visitors don’t realize they’re driving on top of the 1836 Battlefield when they drive in front of the Alamo. We’re working to recapture the sacred Battlefield, and restore it to more closely resemble what it would have looked like at the time of the Battle.
The City of San Antonio owns the cenotaph and plans to repair and restore the monument, as well as add the names of additional defenders who were unknown when the Cenotaph was erected in 1939. Discussion is ongoing about where the Cenotaph will be located once restoration work is complete. One idea is to relocate the Cenotaph (which means “empty tomb”) to the location of one of the funeral pyres, which would serve to restore the 1836 battlefield footprint and to properly honor the location where the defenders’ bodies were burned. Evidence indicates that two of the funeral pyres were located near St. Joseph Church on Commerce Street, and the third was some distance east of the Alamo’s church. While the City of San Antonio has made no final decision on the Cenotaph’s future location, what is certain is the monument will be repaired, and it will always stand to honor the Alamo Defenders.
They are where they have been for decades. Some items were temporarily moved to allow historic preservation work to be done on the walls. As work is completed, the items have been returned.
No. The Master Plan proposes a 100,000+ square foot museum that will be home to hundreds of Alamo artifacts including the spectacular Phil Collins collection featuring David Crockett’s rifle and James Bowie’s knife. It will also include a theatre featuring a film about this beloved Texas site, the 13 Day Siege, and the Battle of 1836. The Battle of the Alamo is and will always be the heart of the story, as that moment defines the Alamo and Texas itself.
No. The plan removes the current “free speech zone” from Alamo Plaza — in the heart of the 1836 Battlefield — to an area outside of where the walls once stood, further restoring dignity and reverence to this sacred ground.
No! Not now, not ever. The Alamo, along with four other Spanish-era missions in San Antonio, was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2015. The effort to earn the designation spanned nine years, and was approved and supported by former Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson. Download the letter signed by Commissioner Jerry Patterson. The UNESCO designation has nothing to do with management of the Alamo.
The Alamo Church and Long Barrack are the only structures that survive from the 1836 battle. This year we will begin the process to preserve and protect them so that future generations can learn about the history of the Alamo, the 1836 Battle, and the history of Texas independence. The Alamo Church and Long Barrack are in desperate need of structural repair. More than 300 years of heat, rain, and elements have taken a toll.
The Texas Legislature and then-Gov. Rick Perry designated the Texas General Land Office the custodian of the Alamo in 2011. The GLO owns and manages the Alamo on behalf of the people of Texas. The GLO is a leader in abiding by all applicable laws concerning government transparency. All of the Alamo planning and preservation contracts have been with the GLO, and are posted on the agency’s website. The Alamo Endowment Board, first constituted in 2009 by then-Commissioner Patterson and then reconstituted in 2015 by Commissioner Bush, operates as a private 501(c)(3) and posts its financial records with GuideStar.com. GuideStar rates the Alamo Endowment Board as “Transparent.” Anyone can download GuideStar’s report at any time.
Restoration of the Church and Long Barracks.
Reestablishing clarity and order through the delineation of the historic footprint.
Recapture the Historic Mission Plaza and create a sense of reverence and respect on the historic battlefield.
Repurpose the Crockett, Woolworth and Palace buildings into a world-class visitor center and museum that tells the story of the Battle of the Alamo and over 300 years of layered history.
Create a sense of arrival to the site and enhance connectivity between the site and other public spaces.