Page Content

Coastal Construction

Decrease text sizeRestore default text sizeIncrease text size  Print this page

Coastal construction can consist of something as simple as repairs to an existing beach house to building a boat ramp, marina or new beachfront house. Depending on the type of construction, a variety of permits may be needed in addition to normal local government building permits. In general, the closer the building is to tidal waters of the Gulf of Mexico and excavation near or below mean high tide, the more permits will be needed.

star Beachfront Construction
Local governments issue permits for coastal construction and the Land Office ensures consistency with the Open Beaches Act, the Dune Protection Act and local management plans. A Beachfront Construction Certificate is needed when construction is within 1,000 feet landward from mean high tide or to the nearest public road, whichever is greater. A Dune Protection Permit is needed when construction is seaward of the local dune protection line. Learn More

star Dock & Pier Construction
The Land Office issues various types of permits, easements and leases for construction of structures on all state-owned coastal lands. Learn More

star Living with Coastal Hazards
Coastal property owners should be prepared for coastal property hazards, such as hurricanes, erosion and floods. Having a plan is key to saving lives and property. Learn More

star Permit Assistance
The Land Office facilitates the permitting process with its Permit Service Centers in Galveston and Corpus Christi. Many permitting actions are combined into a Joint Permit Application form that provides guidance for those new to the coastal permitting process. Learn More

star Federal Consistency Review
The Land Office serves as a steward of the coast is ensuring that coastal construction projects follow state and federal laws. A Federal Consistency Review is conducted when construction is planned within the coastal zone boundary. Learn More

star Resource Management Codes
Development or construction activities on state land leases may have restrictions to protect sensitive natural resources. The Land Office issues guidelines to assist state land lessees during required U.S. Army Corps of Engineers permitting processes. Learn More

Links to Additional Resources

Helpful Info


Janette Gibreal
Beachfront Construction; Living with Coastal Hazards; Federal Consistency Management
Janette Gibreal
Corpus Christi
Permit Assistance
Permit Assistance