Page Content

How Do I?

Decrease text sizeRestore default text sizeIncrease text size  Print this page

How do I find information on available coastal grants including CEPRA, CMP and CIAP?
To help maintain a healthy coastline and beach system, the Land Office works to maximize state funding for coastal projects by seeking matching funds from local and federal partners. To learn more about grants within the Coastal Erosion Planning and Response Program, Coastal Impact Assistance Program, or the Coastal Management Program visit this page.
How do I report an oil spill?
To report an oil spill call toll-free 1.800.832.8224. This report line is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Learn more
How do I find out about beach cleanups and locations?
Keeping Texas beaches clean and safe is an economic as well as environmental priority. Learn more about cleanups and locations.
How do I dispose of my contaminated bilge water?
To keep our coastal waters free of used oil and bilge water from boats and fishing vessels, the Land Office operates eight bilge water reclamation facilities, six portable skid-mounted units and two used-oil collection facilities along the Gulf Coast. For no charge, commercial fishing vessels and recreational boaters can use these facilities to properly dispose of oil and bilge water. The Land Office then recycles the used oil and safely disposes of polluted bilge water. Learn more
How do I report an abandoned or submerged vessel?
To report an abandoned or submerged vessel contact the closest Oil Spill Prevention and Response field office. Ask to speak to the Derelict Vessel Coordinator. Find here the field office closest to the location of the vessel.
How do I get information on water quality and beach conditions?
The Land Office’s Beach Watch program keeps track of bacteria levels at 65 of the most popular Texas beaches. As a pilot project, beach conditions such as water color, wave height and winds are available for 5 Nueces County gulf beaches. To sign up for free e-mail alerts with updated water quality and other information about your favorite beach, visit and click on "Stay Informed."
How do I find information on the Open Beaches Act and my rights to access the beach?
In Texas, public access to the Gulf Coast beaches isn’t just the law, it’s a constitutional right. Cities and counties along the coast are required to adopt laws to protect the public's beach access rights.  Learn more
How do I find out about the erosion rate in my area of the coast?
The Texas Bureau of Economic Geology Coastal Studies Group collects and analyzes data to track changes to the Texas shoreline due to erosion and accretion. This project, paid through CMP funds, is compiled in the Shoreline Change Atlas. Visit the Shoreline Change Atlas
For detailed information about the Texas Shore Line Change Project visit
How do I get a beach dune permit and other permitting assistance if needed?
A beach dune permit is required if the proposed construction is seaward of the local dune protection line. Applications for a dune permit are issued by local permitting authorities.
List of local authorities
Process for getting a dune permit
For permitting assistance, you should contact a Permit Service Center.
How do I learn more about the line of vegetation?
Vegetation within sand dunes secures the sand and protects the dune system. The Open Beaches Act stipulates that the public beach extends from the mean low tide line to the line of natural vegetation along the shoreline. Learn More
How do I get copies of the Land Office Beach & Bay Access Guide?
The Texas Beach and Bay Access Guide helps you find public access sites, coastal state parks, and recreational areas along the Texas coast. To request a CD or hardcopy version of the Texas Beach and Bay Access Guide, Second Edition, please call 512.475.0773. Or, you can download a pdf version of the guide here. Texas Beach and Bay Access Guide.
How do I find out about upcoming coastal events?
You can find all upcoming Land Office events by clicking on “Events” at the top right of any web page.
How do I find coastal GIS data including aerial photography?
Contact the Land Office Professional Services Division by calling 512.463.5083.
How do I register my residential pier?
Coastal Easements (CE) are issued for single and multi-family projects on coastal public land and include piers, docks, walkways, bulkheads, breakwaters, riprap, and similar projects. Structure Registrations (SP) are issued for smaller single-family residential projects on coastal public land. [LEARN MORE ]