Page Content


Decrease text sizeRestore default text sizeIncrease text size  Print this page

Structures extending onto submerged land for residential use are authorized through the General Land Office (TNRC§33). Structures typically consist of a pier and associated components, such as a boat lift, landing, or fish cleaning table. In many cases, authorization for these structures is obtained through the Coastal Field Offices.

Residential Pier Requirements

Example of a typical activity authorized by a Residential Structure Registration.

Single family residential structures that meet the qualifications for a Structure Registration only require a one time application fee of $25.00 for the life of the structure, with no annual rent. The General Land Office also administers the US Army Corps of Engineers Permit in conjunction with the Structure Registration, greatly reducing the amount of time and coordination needed to obtain authorization for a proposed residential pier.

The General Land Office also issues easements for piers and structures on state land associated with Home Owner Association’s (HOA) and Vacation Rental Properties.

Questions or Need More Information?

The Permit Service Center (PSC) is a free service to assist applicants with the permitting process. This service is optional and provided at no charge to customers new to the coastal permitting process or who would like the convenience and benefits of working with the Permit Service Center (PSC) staff. The goal of the PSC is to streamline the permitting process for our applicants. Find out more information at the link below.

Permit Service Center

Links to Additional Resources



Austin Office
Corpus Christi Lower Coast Office
La Porte Upper Coast Office