Page Content

Rights of Way / Miscellaneous Easements (ME)

Decrease text sizeRestore default text sizeIncrease text size  Print this page

MEs are issued on both coastal submerged lands and state-owned uplands for projects which require a right-of-way (ROW) on, across, under, or over state-owned lands, pursuant to Texas Natural Resources Code (TNRC) §51.291. Most fees are based upon a published rate schedule and are calculated based on the length of right-of-way, the region of the state, and the outer diameter of the pipeline (if applicable). The current fee schedule for oil / gas pipelines and electric power lines are at the bottom of the applications.

ME contracts cover activities such as oil and gas pipelines, subsurface easements, water lines, power lines, communication lines, roads, and certain other structures and uses. Contracts for MEs grant the applicant use of the ROW for the purposes specified in the contract.

Failure to obtain an easement from the General Land Office (GLO) prior to beginning construction, violation of contract terms, failure to pay required fees, or failure to provide information required by the GLO may result in penalties and/or termination of the easement and removal of the structures at the expense of the property owner.

Obtaining a ROW/ME from the GLO does not exempt the applicant from complying with all other applicable local, state, and/or federal permitting requirements.

The Land Office also issues mineral leases for oil and gas production. LEARN MORE

Example of a typical action covered by a Right of Way / Miscellaneous Easement Lease.

Links to Additional Resources




Rights of Way / Miscellaneous Easements (ME)
Main number
Glenn Rosenbaum
Miscellaneous Easements / Rights of Way
Glenn Rosenbaum