The GLO has long played a key role in education across Texas.
In 2001, the Texas Legislature authorized the School Land Board (SLB) to deposit the proceeds from land sales, mineral leases, and mineral royalties in the Real Estate Special Fund Account (RESFA) and to use those amounts to invest in real property on behalf of the Permanent School Fund (PSF).
The Texas Constitution of 1876 set aside half of Texas’ remaining public lands to establish a Permanent School Fund (PSF) to help finance public schools. The land office manages these lands, including sales, trades, leases and improvements, as well as administration of contracts, mineral royalty rates and other transactions. Through the careful investment of the funds created by these resources, the GLO turns Texas’ natural mineral resources into textbooks for students.
Educators may find our TEKS-compliant lesson plans and resources within the GLO Education website.
Tours to see our original documents, which include Stephen F. Austin’s historic map and Registro, may be arranged by calling James Harkins, Manager of Public Services - GLO History and Archives at 512-463-3289.